Pages

Monday, March 21, 2016

DIY | St. Patrick's Day embellished tee

I meant to post this before St. Patrick's Day was done & over with, but such is life. We are experiencing real life with a vengeance here, with Fee down with a cough/cold/fever last week. Dar & I both have it too, but parenting...you don't get to take a sick day when your baby's sick. I'm thankful Fee was feeling okay for her birthday party, at least!

Anyway, I made this shirt for Fee so she'd be all festive for her first St. Party's Day. Thank you, mother, again, for my love of all things festive. 
It was pretty simple. I used a onesie I had, & some felt shapes I'd picked up on clearance from Target. The HandMade Modern collection there is pretty cool. It's by the office supplies, fyi. 
I cut out on four-leaf clover shape from green felt because there had to be at least one four-leaf clover, right? ;).
I laid out the clover shapes and moved them around til I was happy with my arrangement.
For fun, I tried the flower shapes. The possibilities for this project are endless! Also, putting shapes into containers has been my new way of keeping Fee busy. It's great.
I cut out a few smaller clover shapes because I thought there needed to be some size variation.
Then, I took my interfacing, & cut it out to fit behind the clovers. I ironed it onto the inside. (Note: I don't know if you'd have to use interfacing, I just thought with the stretchiness of the onesie, it would make it easier to sew the clovers on if there were interfacing. It did seem to help.)
I pinned them in place.

And sewed them on. It is important to backstitch!! They WILL unravel in the wash if you don't. I learned that the hard way.

Fee rocked her shamrock shirt. She does seem to enjoy the clovers & likes to pluck at them--all the more important to backstitch!
I had a lot of fun making this for her. It's so fun to have a little to create for! I'm waiting patiently for the day she gets to join me on kitchen table projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment