Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

first family visitors

Since we made such good time driving out to SoCal, we had an extra day to spare. Friday, we joined some of the church kids and went ice skating. I have had some humbling experiences, but anytime I go ice skating, I have this dreaded apprehension of making a fool of myself. And yet each time, I think, "How bad can it be? And if I never go, I'll never get better." And if you've learned anything about the Dotterer's, it's that while we don't like to be made fools of, being anything less than accomplished at pretty much everything is worse. So I threw back my shoulders & braved the ice. Fortunately for me, Noah was even less experienced and about  as coordinated as I am, so we held hands and shuffled along together, like an old couple out for a walk. And everyone just thought I was being nice to help Noah out; no one suspected he was holding me up as much as  I was him. Win-win. Self-esteem intact.

Saturday: Alex helped Clint build the stone wall in the morning, while Carm & I lounged around. In the afternoon, Carmex & I went to Torrey Pines. The coast was sunny (it isn't always, actually. And sometimes, you even need a jacket), great for a hike, if not so much for laying on the beach. I think what I like most about Torrey Pines is its variety. There's something for everyone. And all without being artificial or desperate to please. The hike is beautiful & would be worth it alone. But there's also the beach, which has great waves and a wide expanse of sand running up to meet the creamy sandstone cliffs (which harbor rattlesnakes as I found out). There's tidepools for the kids if you walk down. The town promises good food and great views (can't vouch for those myself--yet). The trails were busy but not uncomfortably packed. And by the time we finished the hike, and climbed down the flight of stairs descending the cliffs to the beach, the sun was beginning to set. So we got to walk back to the car bathed in the glow of a SoCal sunset.

But the night was not yet over! I have found a new favorite place: Oceanside Pier. Close your eyes and let me describe it to you: a light-studded pier stretching out far enough into the ocean that you felt like you might feel the toss of the waves swaying the otherwise sturdy boards under your feet; the rustle of the ocean around the pilings down below; the neon glow of a diner's sign at the end, beckoning you to a burger and fries (that would taste sooo good after a Torrey Pine's hike); kids on shoulders, couples holding hands, and one girl with her faithful camera, wishing she had a bigger lens to capture the scene.
Whoever comes out next to visit yours truly, we must go to Ruby's Diner.
Here's some photos to flesh out my verbal gallivantings.

3 comments:

  1. I don't want to brag :), but I went ice skating for the first time ever and was told by my oldest that I was really good! I do love Torrey Pines, and that picture of the pier looks so inviting. However, it is a beautiful day here in central IL. It is sunny and it is supposed to reach 40 today! I actually went for a walk this morning and didn't freeze. By the way, hopefully I will be able to pick up a camera thingy today so we can skype soon. Tory, Ev and I are meeting Wes for lunch at Famous Daves. I know, I know, what a life. I love my job! Hmmm, I really have nothing new to report. Oh yes, Kenny has to have his retainer thing put in on Monday. They took they mold of his teeth this past Monday, which he was very nervous about. He did fine though, although the painful part is coming from what I can recall. Wow, I am rambling and sound just like my mother :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as we're doing life updates on this blog :), River has been doing the same bug puzzle on the ipad for 2 days now, Madeira is eating lots of peaches for lunch, and I spent the better part of my morning and a LOT of patience getting a picture of a supershear cut out on CS6 for Jeremy. It is accomplished though. :) I feel worn out by the effort.
    Oh yeah, and I'm defrosting the freezer. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, and I wish I could take a little stroll on that pier. It looks most inviting!

    ReplyDelete