Pages

Thursday, July 13, 2017

when Laura's home

Family. 

I wasn't born into this one, but four years of togetherness, while still not having earned me a nickname, has become woven into my life story like the one that shaped me. 

And when Laura comes home, the entire family is together in completeness, & even I feel it. She was married & moved away before I became an in-law, but I get a taste of what the Tom & Edie family was in their busiest, fullest-house years when she comes home. 


Contentment & a sense of wholeness again reign supreme when she's home. The tupperware cupboard gets organized. The fridge gets cleaned out. The girls have their big sister to get advice from. Riley gets whatever he wants for breakfast. Family walks after evening meals. She's the shaker, the mover, the magnet that draws everyone back to the big, white farmhouse on Saratoga Drive. 

I feel a little like I've been around longer than I actually have when she's home: I see the family history, the backstories, the forgotten nicknames when Laura's home. 

When Laura's home, I feel the same urge I think everyone else does to love a little more, be a little more selfless, & value time with the ones I love more than anything else. 

 When Laura's home these days, our oldest children buddy up. They'll have memories of her childhood home just like hers in some ways. 


When Laura's home, we're together. 
























Laura, you're loved. It's so obvious to me that you mean so much to your family. There's a big white farmhouse on Saratoga Drive with this view of Mt. Hood that is never more like its true, whole self than when you're home. 

2 comments:

  1. what a tribute!! Having the privilege of overlapping in Rittman three years with Laura, i completely understand. :) Such a neat perspective, coming from a sister in law, of the view of the family from "times past". So glad you have such great in-laws in the Sinns! :) Heidi Edelman

    ReplyDelete
  2. How special! I get the privilege of the blessing Laura brings to our community here in Rittman.. and I couldn't agree more...she is a true gem. Joanna Ingold

    ReplyDelete