Pages

Friday, December 12, 2014

getting into Christmas

I've had a hard time getting into the Christmas spirit this year. Busyness, decorating loads at work, the warm weather (not that I'm complaining...) might be the cause. My box of Christmas decorations has been sitting on the kitchen table for a week & I had ornaments half hung & unfinished paperwork littering the counters & my Christmas cards were glaring at me, unstamped, & I was starting to feel Scrooge-ish. It made me a little sad to realize I wasn't excited about Christmas & that I was turning cynical & losing my joy of making spirits bright & festive. And I know Christmas is so much less about glass baubles & cards & perfectly wrapped presents & new sayings on my chalkboard & snowflake cutouts glittering on my glass cakestand & so much more about Jesus. I kept telling myself if I never finished decorating, Christmas wasn't any less joyful for the birth of my Savior. And maybe, I should forget decorating & focus on that instead. But whatever it is that makes me love pretty things & having a proper apron for Christmas baking finally kicked into gear & I got everything hung & lit. As shallow as it may be, it got me in the Christmas spirit to see gold & red sparkly orbs in my window. 
It cheers my heart to see little wreaths in my windows. Between showers, I cut off a bunch of cedar boughs & spruce. I haven't minded the gray & rain yet, but ask me again in February. There are some sweet red & white berries growing in our backyard this time of year, so I helped myself to some. I have no idea what they are...but they dress up a wreath very nicely!


 I put some of the extra bunting I made for work on our windows. Here are a few shots of what the store looks like. 



 Along with decorating, I've been baking madly. Without any major mismeasuring, thank goodness. These little 5 inch cakes are going to be a mini layer chocolate truffle cake. How's that for a mouthful? (I could make that really hokey, but I'll spare you.)
I also baked some raspberry cream cheese rolls--a Sinn favorite--& macarons for a fundraising bake sale church puts on every year. I also make a triple chocolate mousse cake for the Sinn family Christmas tonight. I do love baking. And aprons always make it better. Plus, I really do need one, as messy as I am. 

So now, my house is ready for Christmas, even if I'm not totally. But it will be fine. What really matters is that 2,000 years ago, there was born to us a Savior, Counselor, Almighty God, the Everlasting Father. Help me remember that next year!


2 comments:

  1. Come decorate for me, please! :) Are those little mushroom ornaments on your lantern?!?! Love!
    And agreed about celebrating the birth of Christ instead of baking, decorating, caroling, etc. It's a constant effort to keep shifting the focus back where it needs to be, it seems like...

    ReplyDelete