Pages

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

"Uncle Ev, hold me hand"

"Uncle Ev" just came to see us over his last spring break. Up until now, Fee's always been a little timid around him. It's usually a little easier for her to adapt to my family when they come our way, in small doses. Spending a week in her territory does wonders for bonding. 
Evan is the youngest in the family, & while he fits some baby-of-the-family traits, he is not an attention seeker or happy-go-lucky life of the party kind of guy. And while he doesn't dislike kids, he'd probably rather be interacting with something with a battery. So it was pretty sweet for me to watch him & Fee connect. At meal times, she'd reach for his hand during the prayers. When we were walking anywhere together, "Uncle Ev, hold me hand". I caught him playing with her when he thought no one was watching. And she got more jelly beans the week he was here than in her entire lifetime to date.
It was extra special that he got to be here for her 2nd birthday. My family doesn't normally get to represent at her milestones. She probably won't remember it, but I will:). 

Most of his trip was spent chilling at our house or with his Oregon buddies. Low-key & relaxed (kinda like him). 
It's been a long, rainy winter here in Oregon, so the snatches of sunshine we did get between grey days were spent outside. One afternoon was especially balmy, & we drank smoothies & blew bubbles on the back patio. It speaks volumes that Uncle Ev blew bubbles for Fee.




But, you can't come to Oregon without a little something special. So. 
We went out to the Coast for a day, & spent enough time on the beach to say we'd been there, then strolled Newport Bay.

This picture above is one of my favorites. 

I think he really loved getting documented as a big softy uncle...


 One of the last days he was here, we drove up to Portland, & cruised the city a little before grabbing some pub food at a craft brewery. Then, we headed off to Bonneville Dam on the Columbia. Multnomah Falls is on the way, but decent Saturday after months of rain = no parking, so we skipped that landmark. I've been there half a dozen times & I still love it though. It's worth seeing.

 aside: Fee is very into her accessories lately. Dar thinks I'm crazy, but I let her haul her unicorn backpack everywhere (even to get the mail). It's kind of nice having her carry her own toys, snacks, & drink.
We ate lunch at Bridgeport Brewing in Portland, & I was pleasantly surprised by the food. It was really good, & there were some couches set up around the tables that Fee entertained herself on so I got to almost savor my food. I'm not sure what the dinnertime scene is like, but lunch was very family-friendly. (This photo is another one of my favorites. The conversation they must be having!)

Bonneville Dam is maybe 40 minutes outside of Portland, & is a nice little afternoon trip. We got to watch the locks in action at the dam as they let a barge through. We only caught the end of it, but it was very interesting. I would recommend stopping by the dam if you're in the Columbia Gorge area. It's free, interesting, & can take as much or as little time as you'd like it to. There's a musuem, underwater fish viewing area at the fish ladders (we only saw one fish: September is the peak month if you want to watch spawning salmon returning upriver), the historic powerhouse, & fish hatchery. Plus lots of hikes & waterfalls within 10 miles. Just doing my Oregonian job of trying to lure out tourists;). Have I ever mentioned there's no sales tax?


 With all the rain we've had, the river was just roiling. It's hard to tell in this photo, but those are probably 6 foot waves.

Fee loved looking at all the trout, salmon, steelhead, & sturgeon at the fish hatchery. If you have young kids, it's an easy place to take them for some free fun. The hatchery itself is a lovely old building for just hatching fish eggs:). Now why don't they put cupolas & paned windows on industrial buildings today? There are a few little ponds around with landscaping and "Herman the Sturgeon", a 12 foot sturgeon to go view. Overall, not what I pictured a "fish hatchery" to look like.


And now Uncle Ev's gone. Fee's been asking where he is, & even told me the other day, "Let's go on an airpane & go see unca Ev." Come back soon, Uncle Ev. Before handholding becomes uncool.

No comments:

Post a Comment