Pages

Friday, April 14, 2017

farmlife issue no. 13

There is so much I don't know about plants. But I'm learning from my in-laws. One of the things I appreciate most about my in-laws is their garden. And that it's a family affair. (Of course, everything's kind of a family affair:) ). After the toughest winter since I've been here (and the locals haven't fared any better! Tom said he can't remember a winter so rainy), I got antsy to jumpstart spring & let Fee helped me start some seeds indoors. Too early, I'm sure, but it was so fun! We just transplanted them into some larger containers & she was involved with that, too. 
Mostly we've planted lettuce & tomatoes, but I did sneak in a few flowers. Dar keeps asking me what to do with them next...(no idea). He takes care of what will sustain our bodies, and I take care of the soul-sustaining part. Together, we make a great team, no? Almost four years into marriage, with one child under our belts, teamwork keeps getting more important, and thankfully, more natural. I am so thankful for our friendship & to be as far on the journey as we are! It's so cliche, but it just keeps getting better. 

Fee has been thriving, living right across the road from the farm and all the action. She gets to see her dad quite a bit, & we get out frequently to gather the eggs, scope out the shop, see what flowers are coming up over at Grammy's house, & keeps tabs on the all the fruit trees. The apple, peach, pears, plum, & cherry trees are in full bloom right now & I'm already salivating over the fresh fruit we're going to have at our fingertips! Not to mention the blueberries...it will be a close race to see who can ingest more: me or Fee!




Have I mentioned yet that it was a long winter? And how glad I am to be in spring? With blooms & sunshine (sporadic though it be-it is STILL raining) & the promise of good things coming? Not to mention the joy it has been to watch Fee just blossom into her own opinionated little being (it is joy, however challenging). Besides jumping in "muddles", watering my flowers excessively, insisting on lugging around a "pack-pack" (her back-pack), devouring massive amounts of fresh asparagus, this little girl's latest is this hat. Worn backwards.


We're all growing. With a baby coming the beginning of June, I won't be out in the field much. But with all these seed starts & Fee's involvement, I can't imagine I'll feel purposeless! So much change & growth everywhere I look. But it is good.

Wherever you are, I hope your seeds all start & you get just the right amounts of sun & rain:).

No comments:

Post a Comment