Pages

Monday, March 25, 2013

just another day in ramona

When I first decided to take Clint up on his offer to give me an escape from a job I didn't enjoy & the upcoming Midwest winter, I imagined their house in a nice little culdesac somewhere with a little backyard, possibly a pool, & a back patio draped with some sort of flowering vines. Someone who I shared this vision with nearly laughed when I talked about moving out of the boondocks to highly populated SoCal. "They live down a dirt road & you can't see their closest neighbors. They have goats." Ah. And as I nauseously tried to keep down my lunch on the way to their house, experienced aforementioned dirt driveway, & learned about Max, the crazy English neighbor, I thought to myself, "Perfect." And I meant it.
It's a different SoCal than I was expecting, but Ramona, with her hitching post at the brand-new Starbucks, "Keep Ramona Rural!" signs, small town feel (I recognize my cashiers at Stater Bro's & I'm not going to admit how I know the daily turnover at the local Goodwill...) has weaseled her way into my affections.
Even if there are mornings like this one, where a scream from Becca brought the entire Califamily hurtling to the backyard. There, in their sprinkler-tended back yard, was not one, but TWO snakes. You know how I feel about snakes if you started reading this little blog in November when I moved here. Terrified. And horribly fascinated. I am not ashamed to admit I stood on a chair from the concrete a safe 20 feet away while Clint paused his conference call to dispose of the rattlesnake. The other snake was a king snake, which eats rattlesnakes, so he lived to die another day. You can bet I wore my boots the rest of the day and tread carefully.

3 comments:

  1. I think I could live with the possibility of snakes in exchange for sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have snakes out here in the boonies. At least they aren't poisonous...but that might be the only one up we've got!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm, I hate snakes!!!!
    S U R P R I S E!!! :D

    ReplyDelete