Pages

Friday, April 5, 2013

six months ago...

 Ah, the past few evenings have been absolutely perfect. Despite consistently beautiful weather, I've been savoring the hazy early evenings like I haven't seen the sun in months. I tuck myself on the "new" patio furniture Becca rescued from the Neighbor's and let the thrum of bees in the air lull me into a very pleasant state of mind. Perhaps knowing that my days of basking & smelling the orange blossoms are numbered makes me take the time to enjoy these evenings. My life right now is probably as uncomplicated as it will ever be, I know that. When I think about the last 6 months, I just feel so unworthily grateful.
 Six months ago, I was in Illinois, rushing about, trying to balance three jobs (and doing it badly, I might add), wondering where in the world my life was going, trying to adjust to a good friend marrying my brother, & feeling very purposeless. It was a somewhat low time in my life. But still good. It has always been a good life. No matter what. I never want to give the impression that serving God isn't worth it. During my year and a half between college & moving to SoCal, I got to be with my dear family, just working and enjoying my nephews & niece, being a fixture in their everyday moments. There was a weekly Wednesday morning coffee date with a kindred spirit. I learned to recognize the subtle shifts in season in the woods near my house from many angsty walks through it. Those trees know more about my inner being than any one person, I suspect. The journey my sister & her husband were on to adopt I got to be a part of. I don't regret any of it. And now (sigh), it's different once again. And will be the rest of my life.
I do miss my family--dreadfully!--but, California's been a wonderful respite from the hectic life I led in Illinois. (I never start these posts intending to get so "feely" and reminiscent, but I've kind of just resigned myself to the fact that that's just how I am when I sit down at a keyboard and the words start pouring out. Sorry.) God knew I needed a little breather before jumping right into being married, & He gave it to me; all wrapped up in golden sunshine, citrus-scented breezes, and a mountain-trimmed view. And when I let little fingers of doubt start picking at my contentment & peace, and when the rest of my family gets together to celebrate my niece's first birthday, & when I realize how life hasn't actually stopped for them just because I'm not around (silly, I know), I remind myself of this: God wouldn't move me halfway across the country if it weren't part of His bigger plan & wouldn't bring honor & glory to Him. 
And I know I will be okay. And so will those I love best. I love you, family! You stubborn, opinionated people, you:) 

6 comments:

  1. Always enjoy the "now" Jen. I wish I had been better at that when my boys were younger. You will get lots of visits from family. There are lots of Forrest/Silverton ties, so hopefully that will help as well. We are planning to maybe drive out in August instead of coming for the Oregon reception. That way Tory can come as well and we can make it our summer vacation. Hopefully, you will be settled and the busy berry season will be over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Can't wait for you guys to come:). I wish you could've made it out to SD...and I know your boys did too!

      Delete
  2. soak it in little friend of the tribe of Joseph! ;) just like you're doing!
    As long as you keep shouting Thanksgiving...you will walk in HIS inner courts of Peace!
    all is well... all is well
    XO
    Oh!...and Thank You LORD for SKYPE! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jenna. I love your blog! you tend to sweep me into this stressless little state of mind, and then when I'm done and go back to normal life I get a little sad. I can't help but smile when I think about your last week at the Turkey farm and how excited you were for this next stage of life. And look, God brought it to you so perfectly! So excited for your journey ahead, in the meantime I will continue to slightly be jealous of the beautiful pictures on your blog, as i'm sure they will only continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that last week was insane! I have totally forgotten about it though:). thinking of you & Colin these days! You've got a great attitude about it all--thank you for that. Even if your view from the window isn't quite like mine, we've both got a God that is pretty awesome. And you can always come visit.

      Delete