Pages

Friday, April 4, 2014

the last art class

The last art class. I taught a basic drawing class at the Senior Center--a place where those of a certain age can take classes, socialize, participate in trips, etc.--in Silverton the month of March. I only had 2 ladies sign up for the class, so we had a great time getting to really know each other. It was very relaxed & low-key. I had a lot of fun teaching.

But the last class was absolutely amazing. I'd done instruction & demonstrations the first two classes & then we spent the last two completing a self-portrait.

One of the women started out the class saying, "I can't draw. This is going to be a hoot because I can't even draw stick people!" This woman had recently moved here from California to live the green Oregon life & is living by herself so she doesn't really know anyone. She came to class for something to do, I'm sure. And she learned that she can draw. She was so pleased & shocked by her final portrait that she actually got tears in her eyes. All of her life, she'd thought she couldn't draw. Here she was, 65 & still learning & discovering. Maybe it seems a little silly to be so excited by such a thing. But I don't think so. I think it's absolutely amazing! Not that I'm proud of my teaching skills (ha! I'm not really an instructor) or so into art that I think anyone not doing it is missing out on a key part of life, I don't think that. But...hmmm...let me try to clarify: it isn't that she learned she could draw; it's that she achieved something she thought she couldn't. And she had thought all her life she couldn't. And here she was, years beyond the bloom of youth & innocent expectations, & she emerged triumphant.




It was one of those rare moments in life when all seems right. Oddly, it was such a faith-boosting experience.

At this point, I don't know if I'll be able to continue the classes with my new job. Either way, I enjoyed this one, & am so glad I had the opportunity!

1 comment: