Pages

Thursday, June 12, 2014

strawberry fields forever

May means strawberries are here. I was sooo excited when the u-pick & farm stand signs for strawberries started cropping up a few weeks ago. Willamette Valley Pie has their own u-pick, so after work one day, I cheerfully spent time paying to pick berries. I was so pleased with my little quart & a half. How charming to pick your own berries, right? 
And then, I found out some of Dar's farming connections meant we had a whole field, & I mean a whole field, of strawberries at our disposal. So we went out one sunny magical evening & picked more strawberries. We got our fill of fresh, & I froze the remainder for smoothies & made jam. I love making jam: it's so fast & rewarding. A row of ruby jars on my counter makes me happy. 



And then, they were going to pitch a whole flat of berries at work until I rescued them. Now, we didn't need any more strawberries, or strawberry jam, or berries for smoothies, but I couldn't bear to see them wasted (thank you, mother). None of my in-laws needed any more berries either. So, I did what anyone would do of they had a going-downhill-quickly flat of strawberries: I made more jam. We'll never eat a fraction of it. But I can think of a lot of worse things to deal with. In the meantime, does anyone want/need any strawberry/strawberry -rhubarb jam?

No comments:

Post a Comment