Pages

Sunday, June 15, 2014

1 year in

  One year ago, we were in Illinois, a little stressed, a little overwhelmed, & a lot excited. We were finally getting married...after having only seen each other six times during our six month engagement. What craziness! Who does that? Who gets married to someone they barely know, in so short a time? And to top it all off, is so excited to? We did, and were:). And I'm still so excited to be married to the man I am. I thank God daily for him. And pray daily that I will treat him with the honor & respect God requires me to. It isn't hard most of the time--though we have had a few days where "I'd sell him for a nickel" as Grammy says--but he makes it so easy because he treats me the way God requires him to. I never understood how a marriage could run so smoothly when each party acts out their god-given role; I kind of dreaded being "submissive" & the "weaker vessel". There are still times I think I'm more right & it's hard not to say so. But we've been through enough experiences by now that I've learned it's usually better if I keep my mouth shut & listen to God. (Sometimes that means speaking up, & Dar respects me enough to listen, too.) People told us at the beginning, "It only gets better". How, I wondered, when it was so great already? But they were right. It has only gotten better as we've shared laughter, a little sadness, a few stressful moments, a broken toilet, & many, many tacos. There is no one else I'd rather spend my life with. And I've come to a great realization: everyone else (for the most part) feels the same way. Isn't that wonderful? There were times when I was single when I wondered how a person could be content with one other for their entire life. What if I got bored, or saw in another person someone I'd rather be with? It's only been a year, but I have complete confidence I'll never feel that way because I am so happy with who I got. And I suspect it just continues in that way  the longer a relationship goes.  

I'm not sure whose idea it was to get married during berry harvest (mine?), but we did. My in-laws deserve great commendation for being so sweet & not letting on last year how stressful the timing of our wedding was. Ignorance is bliss. But this year, while I may still be ignorant of many of the aspects of berry farming, I do know now that mid-June probably isn't a good time for an anniversary get-away. So we snuck away for a few days to Cannon Beach a few weeks ago to celebrate our first anniversary. It was lovely. I highly recommend it to anyone visiting, or local. There were a plethora of restaurants boasting non-fried seafood, places to stay with beachfront access, scores of quaint stores, & a nice sandy beach. 
We spent most of the trip on the beach, sunbathing. When it is warm & sunny on The Oregon Coast, you had better be doing that. It was just a perfect little weekend, catching up with each other, discovering new things about each other (does that happen the rest of our lives, I wonder?).


We spent some time in Seaside, too. There was a good clamming tide, so we saw tons of people with their clamdiggers. (Love that word, clamdiggers.) A misty morning that burned off into a sunny day.






It was over too soon. The next month or so will be busy for us. Pretty soon it will be 13 months of marriage, then 18, then 2 years. This first year has been so lovely, & it's been full of learning & growing together into something more & different than either of us was alone. I've changed in ways I never thought I could've (like rarely eating dessert, & enjoying fishing) & I've been humbled many times by how good God has been to us. I've learned the value of saying sorry--even when I don't want to, & especially when I don't think I need to. The years ahead are years I look forward to, with the man & God I love both with me. 

1 comment:

  1. Argh! I missed the anniversary congratulatory. Its hard to believe its been a year for you already! Keep postin :)

    ReplyDelete