Pages

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

"I'm so glad..."

"I live in a world where there are Octobers," to quote Anne Shirley. Even better are Octobers spent with family & autumn leaves & easy-going mornings. We spent 5 days back in Illinois last week, & it was pure loveliness. It's always nice to be back with my family & childhood surroundings, but it was especially nice this time. Maybe it was that Darwin was with me, & I got to watch him interact (superbly, I might add) with my niblings. That man is going to make a fabulous father! Maybe it's that we left gray rain for sunset-hued leaves contrasted against fall blue skies & barely-sweater-wearing weather. Maybe it all the family time & one-on-one time with the niblings. Maybe it was because it was okay that I was okay with all the changes that have happened & that while I'll always have part of me in Illinois, Oregon is mostly home now, & that's normal. It isn't so hard to go back & see what I'm missing, & then leave. Maybe it was a spunky niece who immediately loved me & was my little shadow. (They still remember their Aunt Jenna, sniffle!) Something has shifted. It was lovely to be back.
 First time I got to see this little guy in person. He was too shy to meet me in July. He is well-loved by his siblings.

 Dar & I spent a little time out at the Aberle farm: never a dull moment here. I was privileged enough to help with egg-collecting chores. Which I love. And these are eggs you actually have to hunt for. David has a favorite chicken, "Blackie" (below), that he loves because it's the runt & the lone male survivor. This makes me love him.

 We played baseball with yes, a soccer ball, because "Roxy's not very good at hitting the baseball." They were impressed with their aunt's hitting skills. Mad skills, let me tell you.
 We spent quite a bit of time outside, because like I said, it was so beautiful! Alex took us back to the timber & showed Dar around. Those two get along famously. Which works out well, since their wives get along quite well too.

 For Dan's 62nd birthday, we had a German meal (schnitzel, spaetzle, red cabbage, vinegary beans, etc.) & made hot pretzels later. The kids all had a blast rolling out & shaping pretzels.
 Babies are a hot commodity in the Dotterer clan right now. I've no fears ours won't be deeply loved & cared for. (No doubts about that in the Sinn fam either, for that matter.)
 Dar helped Dan lay some pavers outside the shop. He likes some small projects, but is just as happy to get the lay of the land & observe harvest as it's done here. I don't worry about him getting bored.
 Taking the scooter out for a cruise around the neighborhood with our favorite lisping nephew. He wore his "OSU" (Oregon State, not Ohio State:) ) shirt Dar bought him for his birthday last year when he knew Darwin was coming over. How sweet is that? My nephews have such fun talking hunting, trapping, things that move faster than this girl likes to go, etc. with Dar.

 A rare moment of sweet repose for two-thirds of this photo. Not that they aren't sweet, just not reposeful. Notice the shiner on David? That sums him up. That & when he asked me, "Have you ever set any animals on fire?"
 And this photo. Love.
 Mad was frequently in a pink princess dress, behaving much like a princess. She was a little shy around Darwin & would look at him winsomely up through her demure eyelashes. Me on the other hand, she followed around. WIN! I had the warm fuzzies for days.
Oh, these boys. Gotta love little blondies & their dark-haired uncle. River was probably the most changed since last time. He just seems so big: he's lost that toddler look & stretched out & grown up.
 Most of the times we spent together were in Mom & Dan's new shed. It was great: hardly a shed, it has a large roomy kitchen, bathroom with shower, & upstairs were Dar & I's new quarters for all future visits home. I wasn't sure how I'd feel being away from family in our own "house", in a room that was new & not one I grew up in. But let me tell you, it was perfect. Enough space & privacy, but tons of opportunity for togetherness. Mad & Riv spent one (restless) night with us, but otherwise, we had it to ourselves at night. Coming back to Oregon, it almost seems like we weren't there. But I've got recent visions of all my little niblings & a taste of a good ol' Midwest fall under my belt now. 

I thank God we have a little money for travel, & that I have a family I love so dearly, & that now my husband loves dearly. Until next time,

Jenna

3 comments:

  1. Lovely, picture heavy post! Those were probably the nicest days we've had all fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet recap! It was a lovely 5 days. :) Also thanks for posting that picture of me - I had a spinach smoothie for breakfast. Nothing like a fat picture to inspire a weight loss! :0

    ReplyDelete