Pages

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Farm life update no. 5

It's hard to believe it's January here, with the sunshine and warm weather we've been having. The farm is coming to life. (As are its occupants.) Dar's been putting in a trellis system to set up an irrigation system in a young blueberry field. I've been taking lunch out to him & we have a low key picnic in the sunshine the past few days.  
The slow pace of winter is speeding up, delightfully so. Little calves are being born in the pasture, lambs frolic at the neighbors and I've got babies on the brain too. I'm so glad I'm due in the spring. It just feels right: everything is budding and blooming, shaking off the winter. Now, like our birthing class teacher told us, I probably shouldn't be so excited. Spring, and our little one, are probably not quite ready to be here yet. But with the filbert trees budding, Dar getting home later & later (my biggest clue that spring is coming), temperatures in the 60s, & crocuses, CROCUSES, popping up, I'm having a hard time reining in my spring fever. 
The blueberry bushes are still wearing their  glorious scarlet winter wear, but it seems like they've already started to put on a tinge of green. The Sinn family has migrated from their winter hibernation of evenings spent sipping tea around the fire to being outdoors en masse. 
And what else do you do when it's a glorious warm day but wash all the vehicles? (I strategically parked mine so it would make it in the line up.)
A filbert bud. 
And how better to enjoy the farm & good life than a long walk around the dirt & growing green things with the entire clan?  That's something I appreciate about the Sinn family: everyone's always up for a jaunt through the fields to scope out the land & get a better view of Mt. Hood. They are so good at being spontaneous & taking advantage of the fleeting moment. Because tomorrow, it could be foggy. (We've had a very mild winter here: not much rain. Lots of fog, though. The days of sunshine break it up nicely however, & I think I'm safe saying I will successfully survive my second PNW winter.)
And I'll end this farm update with a parting shot of our favorite Sinn niece. She is as full of spunk as she looks!

2 comments:

  1. GASP! Picnics and 60 degrees!!! It is far from Spring here in Ohio where everyday is one color - white. White sky, white ground, and dirty, dirty cars. (No line up for washing in these driveways! Instead you almost break your neck on the ice when you go out to get the mail!) Sigh. I always love these farm life updates. It reminds of Anne of Green Gables for some reason ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber is right! Your farm do kind of resemble the farm in Anne of the Green Gables. Just look at those stunning blueberry bushes! I can’t wait to see them grow their luscious fruits in summer. For now, their scarlet winter shade will suffice. Cheers!

    Kevin Kelley @ Ravensworth Cattle Property

    ReplyDelete