Pages

Monday, April 11, 2016

farm life issue no. 10

UThe farm is waking up. The evenings are longer, the sun is warmer, & the farmers are getting antsy.
The blueberry bushes are covered with their delicately fragnant white blooms. 
I convinced Dar to give me a spin in the canoe one fine evening. This is farmlife at its best.
The chicks are growing, all the calves have been born. 
 Fee knows her little boots mean we're probably going to the farm, and at the very least, going outside. She's started bringing them to me with the most hopeful look. It has me smitten! We spend a lot of time at the farm, and she knows "calvies" mean she gets to help uncle Riley bottle feed the calf. There's more farm girl in her than her mom, I'm convinced.

Everything is blooming. The peach trees (they're actually done-I took too long to get this post done!), the blueberries, the apple trees. The hazelnut trees are all leafy & chartreuse. (Chartreuse is the color of spring.)
Here are the beginnings of a luscious cluster of blueberries. Only a few more months...or maybe weeks?...Dar told me he's seen some green berries out there!
There is already bounty to be harvested from the green house!
Busy season will soon be upon us. 
The bee boxes are all out (aren't they pretty?:) ), the bees humming their airways to pollinate all the berries. One of my favorite sounds here has become the hum of bees on a warm afternoon. If you lay down in the berry roads, you can watch them zinging their way, following the road. (A berry road is what we call the dirt roads surrounding a berry field.)

This is Dar's favorite time of year: full of promise & excitement, but not yet the brutal reality of harvest. I heartily agree:). 

*I will be traveling back to IL soon to see my family, so posting might be a little sporadic (if at all) for a few weeks! Enjoy the spring, wherever you may be. I hope it's full of chartreuse:). 


No comments:

Post a Comment