Pages

Monday, April 11, 2016

Host anyway

We invited some cousins (not some, a lot) over for an evening cookout & Easter egg hunt. They were to arrive at 5. At 5, the power went out...
We just went with it: most of the food was already prepared, the guests were arriving. 
I realized I had a choice: freak out & make everyone uncomfortable, or just roll with it & enjoy the people & absolutely gorgeous, golden sunshine. I figured, my tablecloths didn't match, & my bouquets were a bright hodgepodge of color, losing power just seemed par for the course. I made the choice to enjoy the spontaneity & let go of my expectations for the evening. 
It was the right choice. The kids had a blast. (Our current living quarters were made for egg hunts!)





We made do with a charcoal grill instead of the Traeger.


Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, & really that was what it was all about. I'm so glad I didn't choose to freak out!


The best part was at 9:00, one of the girls wondered why we hadn't turned any of the outside lights on!!. I don't always do a good job hosting. Too often, I let the stress or the "perfect" meal & little details sidetrack me from my actual purpose: to spend time with people & make them feel loved & cared about. But this evening, I think we nailed it. If our guests didn't realize the power was off until it got too dark to see, I think we achieved what we set out to do.

I'm sure I'll have fails at hosting in the future, but chalk this one up for a win!

2 comments:

  1. Hospitality is one of your gifts. And I love the mismatched tablecloths!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whether it is now or not, I want it to be, Shara;). And it needs to be: 2,000 miles apart makes for lots of hosting! I kinda like the tablecloths too.

    ReplyDelete