Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2016

chalk lettering workshop

I taught a chalk lettering workshop last week. I'm going to say it again because it's so surreal: I taught a workshop last week! It's been on my list of dreams for a long time. And it happened! 
Not that I wasn't terrified when it came time to stand up in front of a dozen women who had paid for the workshop. Fears & insecurities swamped me that morning. It didn't help that it was the first day of berry harvest, & I had to miss it due to the workshop. Guilt overwhelmed me that I'd been so selfish as to pursue my own frivolous little dreams instead of supporting my husband in his lifework of providing for our little family. 
 Dar was shaking his head at me that morning when I was sharing my nervousness & fear about teaching in front of a dozen women. "You asked to do this! You wanted to!" he said. I did, too. And I did even then. But it doesn't mean I wasn't nervous! But I have this desire on my heart to share. To share the loveliness I find in creating; to share the connection I feel with other women when we're leaning over a work of art, whatever that may be; to share the burning desire in me to bring glory to God by the making of things with my hands. It isn't everyone's passion (thank goodness! Who would do the bookwork?! And staff the hospitals?), but it is part of my calling. My friend Kara, who's a lovely photographer & one of those rare sweet, yet real, people, brought her camera & took photos of the workshop. On her own! Without expecting compensation! People are so nice. (She took all these photos.) We all have our calling. And it blesses us & everyone around us when we use it. She has no idea how that little act calmed my heart & gave me courage to stand up in front of everyone.


 Life is fuller, more peaceful, & efficient, even, when we follow our calling. This little endeavor proved that to me. It went well. I was a little frazzled-my hair says it all. But I made it through without completely forgetting what I wanted to teach. My pupils were so sweet & involved. Willamette Valley Pie, where the workshop was held, provided free pie & iced tea to beat the 90 degree heat. (We had A/C, thank goodness!) I had enough supplies, I even remembered containers to catch all the chalk shavings!


 But I must "walk humbly" with my God. Because it is His power in me, His talents, His joy, His creativity that work through me. And I can never forget that. It isn't me. It is never me. Although I love to claim the credit.
 I'd chosen Micah 6:8 as an example to show different fonts for lettering. "Do justly, love mercy, walk humbly".  
A God choice, as it turns out. (Why am I always surprised?)
Even though the class went well, and everyone seemed to enjoy it, & the farm managed their first day of harvest without me (haha. I like to think I'm less expendable than I am), I had worries I'd rushed ahead of God & done this because I wanted to. But guess what verse was talked about in church the next day? Yup. "Do justly. Love mercy. Walk humbly." 

God is so good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment