Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

dragonfruit & little lovely things

 This is what I ate for breakfast this morning. That, and a bittersweet chocolate & pear scone (not to be confused with bittersweet chocolate & pear cake, though they are like first cousins, or maybe even siblings), and some mango greek yogurt. The pink spikey thing is a "dragonfruit". I've never even heard of one, let alone eaten one.
The inside looks like a white kiwi, but Noah informed me they're usually magenta. It tasted a little like kiwi, too. Noah took one bite, made a face, then raced to the trashcan, where he spat it all out, with more sound effects than were probably necessary. Normally, they are more flavorful & pack more punch, Becca told me, leaving her slice quietly unfinished on her plate. But, being a landlocked Midwesterner til four days ago, where in November strawberries count as exotic fruit, I thought it was pretty good. It was at least new & exciting.

That's kinda how my new little life here is. I didn't realize how wearing having three jobs really was; how much I really disliked working in an office; how little time I had to just think; how I'm not cut out for an ambitious career at all. Nope, I'm happy to just putter around the kitchen, have a little room, a little free time, a little playtime, a little sunshine, a little rock to call my perch. I'm shockingly grateful for the little everyday routine I live now. There is a rock I have claimed as my own in the backyard that overlooks the valley. Monday I sat there, sun on my shoulders, serenaded by Mexican tunes blaring from a truck down in the valley, thanking God that this is where I'm at. Why do I feel that sometimes I have to be doing so much? Every shred of stress I've felt for so long is gone. All it took was to move 2,058 miles away. I don't know how long I'll be here. Not long enough I'm afraid. This phase can't last forever. But for now, I'm going to enjoy every blessed second of it. I'm going to sit in the sun & think happy thoughts. I'm going to play Indians with Sophie & Noah. I will make Will like me (he doesn't like my "scary" eyes, but I'm confident I will weasel my way into his affections eventually...). I'm going to bake to my little heart's content. I'm going to read Calvin & Hobbes til my throat's hoarse. I'm going to gorge myself on pomegranates. I will eat dessert every lunch Sunday. I will get 8 blissful hours of sleep every night. I will not know what day it is. And I will wake up every morning with a thankful heart for my lovely little life.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Zoe. Btw, how do you get your name to have the little "treima" above the "e"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just checked your blog for the first time -- and you are already making me lonesome!
    Love to all...........

    ReplyDelete