Pages

Saturday, February 9, 2013

a prayer for me

The other morning at breakfast, Will wanted to say the prayer, which isn't an infrequent request. Becca acquiesced. He bowed his head, folded his hands, and began, "Dear God...um...please help for Jenna to be good...amen." (A brief silence broken by barely stifled snickers.) Will lifted his head and looked at us all innocently, "That's all I got." 
I can't really describe the relationship I've formed with these three kids and their parents. In ten years from now, I think I'll only begin to be see how special & life-shaping this experience has been. To my Califamily, you've snagged a piece of my heart that I don't think will ever totally be mine again. There's something about being present for every little moment, experiencing them "like pearls slipping softly off a string," that makes a bond like none I've ever experienced before. I love where I'm at & what I'm doing. And prayers like Will's don't hurt either. :).

7 comments:

  1. This totally cracks me up! He obviously thinks you need help in the acting good department.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...not sure why he thinks I needed it, but it was great for a laugh! And coincidentally, I did have a really good day.

      Delete
  2. Hee-hee! Goodness, you never know what's going to come out of that kid's mouth! But, seriously, we have prayed a prayer for you this weekend! Congratulations on your engagement! Hope all is going well in these early days of getting to know each other.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's going rather well, I think. Noah's not so sure getting married looks all that appealing, but the others are excited.

      Delete
  3. Noah's a little young to get married anyway... :)
    Tell Darwin he needs to introduce himself to the family so we can see if we approve. !

    ReplyDelete
  4. looking forward to an update! ;)

    ReplyDelete