Pages

Monday, February 4, 2013

the dotterers go to san diego

As we watched the bellboy loading up the luggage cart with an assortment of swimming gear, coolers, and bags, Becca remarked in that dry way she has, "The Clampett's go to Hollywood."
Our hotel was quite nice. A 12 story atrium with fish pond, glass elevators facing the atrium, made-to-order omelettes in the morning (had a repeat of "The Neighbor" omelette), pool with striped towels that actually covered you when you wrapped up in them--hand towels these were not--an ocean view. Not that we all didn't feel perfectly at home in such a place. The boys didn't fight over who got to push the elevator button--every time. I didn't take advantage of the manager's *free* evening reception...much. We didn't gawk at the 12-story atrium & we knew exactly how much to tip the valet, and we never forgot Will in the van as the valet got in to park it... (It was purely unintentional, I promise. And I did feel my heart give a lurch when Will was nowhere to be seen. It seems I have formed an attachment to the little chap, despite his best intentions.)

While Clint had meetings, B & I took the kids to Coronado. I know. It's only the 5th time I've been there. Trust me, I thank God every day I'm here. He is so good to me! The kids had a blast. Noah "beat" the waves and boogie boarded tirelessly.
Will covered every inch of his skin with sand and protected our snacks from the sea gulls. 
Sophie boogie boarded & wrote messages in the sand. I had a book, a reclining beach chair, and thoughts to ponder. It was so pleasant to bask in the sun, and yes, feel it crisping my skin. I concede. Someday it may make me look like an old shoe and give me wrinkles, but I didn't put on sunscreen. Not even 5 spf. Carmen & Shannon, I apologize for all my previous sermons on sunscreen. You may call me a hypocrite if you choose. For the record, I didn't get burnt. 
It was an enjoyable weekend. A little extraordinary. And there were moments I really had to pinch myself and say, "Is this real? Is this really where I'm at now?" But the answer was always, "yes!" albeit in a somewhat dazed and wondering tone. To be where I'm at is strange & amazing. Never did I imagine this is where God would lead me. But I'm glad He has. Even though it was a long road here, I wouldn't change one step of the journey. 


3 comments:

  1. Wow. It sounds so delightful. Wish we could be there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound wonderful...especially since it has been soooooo cold here. And to rub it in, my in-laws are in Florida, Carmex in Hawaii, and parents are heading out to SoCal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you girls feel. life feels kind of insipid right now...

    ReplyDelete