Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

crepe* expectations

I'm not sure how we found ourselves in the predicament of making crepes for church lunch. Once San Diego church heard we were contemplating the idea though, their enthusiasm & expectations left us no choice but to follow through on what some people might consider a lapse in sanity (which we never claimed to have total control of anyway...at least not this girl). A bunch of Eastern Europeans who devour crepes in their native habitat was a little daunting, but the challenge was too tempting to pass up. No one came right out & said it couldn't be done...but the sentiment might've been there. Honestly, until we did it, I wasn't all that sure either. 
It was a 3-day production: eleven dozen eggs, 32 cups of flour, 48 cups of milk, and that was just for the crepes. The fillings were another matter altogether. Becca & I took turns frying crepes--four hours & 210 (yup, count 'em) crepes later, we were done. I think we made them simply to see if we could. 























The kids jumped right in & were a "crepe"* help. Will is well on his way to becoming the next Iron Chef--he cracks eggs like a pro. Noah's got a nose for sweets like a true Dotterer. They were all very obliging at cleaning out the cream Becca made for the sweet crepes. And I'm not sure if this is normal, but they didn't even get tired of crepes after eating them three days in a row. And we've got more left. Granted, crepes are just the platform for a myriad of flavors--savory, salty, puddingy, fruity, eggy. Anything you can put on a sandwich or tortilla would taste good in a crepe in my humble, now-experienced opinion. (210 crepes garners some respect and credibility, right?) I may have told people Wednesday night that we were making crepes for Sunday...and it might be coincidence that everyone canceled any travelling plans & supported the home front...but I have my suspicions "crepes & curiosity" had a lot to do with it. And Sunday at noon, all those hours of standing over a frying pan were worth it. The decibel level in the lunchroom has never been so loud--and I saw people who never come back for seconds, coming back for seconds. Becca was voted in as permanent lunch server. I kept hearing bits of conversation wafting from the lunch tables: "Savory crepes...what does that mean?", "Do you think fourths are okay?", "When does Becca serve next? Think she'll do 'em again?" I hope none of this is coming across as boastful; that's not my intention at all. The whole experience was actually quite fun. And there was such a festive (that's for you, Mom:) ) mood because of the crepes. It was a good feeling, knowing everyone thoroughly enjoyed it, and I felt somewhat melancholy, realizing I'm not going to be here forever. But I won't complain. I can't complain. Whatever life holds for me, I know God's got it all under control. And so it will be beautiful. And an adventure! I have an old friend who likes to remind me, "Faith is a Fantastic Adventure In Trusting Him". And he's right. And sometimes, if you have to create your own culinary adventures to "crepe"* things up a bit, I don't think God minds all that much.

*I couldn't resist. Sorry for the bad puns. 

10 comments:

  1. Gotta love Noah's shades! Do those help the taste testing?! So we served lunch last Sunday...just doesn't seem like it was quite the same adventurous undertaking.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...never would I attempt this in a church larger than SD!

      Delete
  2. Ahhh, wish I could have been there!
    My vote goes to you and Becca...indeed worthy of "crepe" honors!
    ...better hope they don't catch wind of this 1050 miles North of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :). Sandwiches for the first couple times methinks.

      Delete
  3. How many different fillings/toppings did you make for the crepes? I usually don't attempt to make them for my small family since they take too much stove time, but really if you can make 210, I suppose I could make about 20.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we did scrambled eggs, spinach, caramelized onions, sauteed peppers, feta, cheddar cheese, salsa for the savory. Cream/pudding, syrup, cinnamon+sugar,thickened fruit, & whipped cream for the sweet ones. So. Good.

      Delete
    2. And mushrooms for the savory.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a ton of fun (and clean-up!) I loved this "but I won't complain. I can't complain. Whatever life holds for me, I know God's got it all under control. And so it will be beautiful. And an adventure! I have an old friend who likes to remind me, "Faith is a Fantastic Adventure In Trusting Him"."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I was just telling some doubtful friends the other day how much I would LOVE to make church lunch! So I've decided I'll just head out to Silverton when it's time for you to give lunch. :) The savory crepe fillings sound so very delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete