Pages

Friday, February 15, 2013

engaged...


Alright, here you go. I know you've all been dying to see a picture of him. And hear how it's going. I can say it's going much better than I ever imagined it would. My phone has gotten more use in the past 2 weeks than it has in the past 2 years. God's been so good to me. Again. I know I keep saying that, but I mean it. To be perfectly okay with the idea of marrying a man I've only met twice, didn't really know, and still have my sanity intact (Noah might argue that point), is beyond strange & wonderful. I'm even growing rather fond of him.
I picked him up at the airport yesterday, and it wasn't awkward at all. I felt like I kind of knew him already. (Logging in 40 hours of phone time didn't hurt either.) It felt perfectly natural to share stories about my family with him, to ask him what God had shown him so far that day, to even eat in front of him. The total lack of pressure to feel like I have to be a certain way or measure up to a standard is amazing. Waiting on the Lord has proved the best way once again. I know being married won't be perfect. I know it's a lot of work--at least I've observed it to be & heard that it is. But like every new path in my life has been so far, it's God's path, and it always leads me closer to Him. Plus, he's pretty sweet & has farmer hands like my dad did--all callouses and scars. He prefers corn tortillas to flour, dislikes theme parks, and wants a house with a little character. He can build things from wood, makes his own vinegar salad dressing, and isn't arrogant at all like I thought he was.
The Califamily got to meet him, and I think he was a hit with the kids. After gamely going on a tour of their 11 forts, sliding down the mountain a few times, & answering Will's 20 questions, they were treating him like family. I wish my family were all here to meet him and give their approval...I really hope they give their approval...and forgive me for my spaceyheadedness of late. But I know they'll like him, if only because they love me. And they'll just like him anyway. And if you knew what we went through to get this photo of the two of us, you'd really appreciate him. It's a long story, and if you really want to know, just ask me. It involved an English man with a crazy white beard, 3 pigs with scabies, a traipse through scrub brush, & an orange grove. I'm not making up a single detail of this. I couldn't have thought of a stranger story if I'd tried.

14 comments:

  1. We can't wait to meet him! So glad it's going well. (And I'm reading behind the lines but "I'm even getting rather fond of him" sounds understated. :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the picture - I really was dying to see the two of you together. :) As cute as I imagined! Now he just needs to make his way out east for the initiation process...! Not really, because, as you say, he's already in in the family because we love you, Jen, and you are quite happy, I think, with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we will come out the last weekend in April. I'll spend a week or so at home, and he'll come for the weekend. Is that soon enough?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh Jenna so happy for you!!!! ~ amber (Holmes) Sayre :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah. Thats so perfect. We're getting drippy eyed again. God is so sweet to us when just follow. Thankful thankful thankful for you both..
    Ps- grace just giggled and we agree he's quite handsome with a kind smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, it's a good thing I got totally fried at Coronado when he was here, or I might be accused of blushing a lot more! Tell the girls hi!

      Delete
  6. So, so happy for you! God's plan is amazing when we let Him work! Sounds like an interesting story...love to hear it sometime!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the picture! Its perfect! You two are just as adorable as I imagined. I can't wait to meet him and see you!! (2 1/2 months!!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks:). Getting the picture for my wedding photos...(couldn't resist)? May 3-8 will be my last hurrah, methinks. It'll be fun!

      Delete
  8. Your post brings tears to my eyes...so many similarities. Sooo happy for you!!! Yes, GOD is soo good....your marriage will be blessed by your unreasoning Trust in HIM. Looking forward to meeting him also! Love you dear Jenna!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great picture! Cant wait to hear the story behind it....sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "makes his own vinegar salad dressings" SOLD!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it Jenna! So happy for you two! God always does provide and sometimes in ways that we could never have imagined.

    ReplyDelete