Pages

Thursday, May 1, 2014

"are you twins?"

We got asked that question no less than 5 times while my sister Wendy was out visiting, sans children & husband. When we responded, "No, just sisters," the inevitable next question was "Who's older?" ?!What?! I'm nine years younger, thank you. I don't mind too much though. There was a time I longed to be included in the older three's set. 
 
For a while, I was just the little sister she took shopping & spoiled. The age gap keeps shrinking the older I get, though, & now we are best of friends. It was awesome having her here: even though we were both feeling a little run-down & overworked. We might have spent an exorbitant amount of time in sweatpants on the couch:). To be real though, I did come down with strep throat & she'd just survived tax season. But I can't think of a better way, actually, to spend time with one of my sisters. Just chilling & not feeling like we had to run around & experience all the PNW has to offer (we'll do that when the whole fam comes in August). We went grocery shopping daily, European-style, at the fun, albeit expensive, grocery store for fun food like kalamata olives, wine, good cheese & bread, & had appetizers before dinner. There's nothing quite like a sister: it didn't matter if I got sick, if my oven broke & started broiling everything, if one day was spent at urgent care getting antibiotics & it rained most of the time she was here. It was enough just to be able to gab, to "prutz" around, rearranging my decor (already! I know.), to sit at the island & eat baked oatmeal at 10. She did get in on a Sinn family Easter; I love merging my two families. They get along famously! I'm so thankful our two families are so similar & get along so well. It doesn't feel awkward to mesh them around & have extras at holidays. I'm so glad for that.  She got to know them a little better & they got to know her, & it makes me so happy to think they'll understand my past a little more because of it, and she'll understand my present & future better. Family means so much.

We did do an afternoon trip to Sisters, OR & got some coffee & lunch. And so what if the cute, little Western boardwalk was all torn up & we strolled across dirt streets to the sound of jackhammers? With a sister, there was no pressure to procure a perfect experience & we could just laugh about the irony of driving a couple hours & finding the town under construction. It was just that kind of trip.
And then we did some more coffee & shopping in Silverton. :). With Wendy there is coffee. Always & lots of it. When I think of Wendy's house, I just feel so comfortable: there was always coffee on, a place on the leather couch with a nice fluffy blanket, warm colors everywhere, wood floors, & usually a Mexican skillet dinner she'd whip up from seemingly nothing. She's pretty awesome. To be mistaken for her twin is a compliment I'll relish.



We hit up the Pearl District in Portland before she had to fly home. We nipped into anthropologie (our all-time favorite store) & Powell's House of Books. Our favorite aisle is the cookbook aisle, fyi. (You cared, right?) I like strolling through a city best with my sisters.
a display being painted at anthropologie.
Then she flew home to her boys & I headed back to work, & the past days were already a nice little memory to tuck away. My oven's still broken & I still have a bottle of pills to finish, & I still have people asking if the sister that visited  me last Sunday was older or younger than me, but the time we had together was just perfect:). Can't wait to have her & her boys out here come August!

5 comments:

  1. You are too kind, but I'm happy to hear that my home was comfort to you! That is what I strive for! As a disclaimer, the wrap sweater was my coat for the trip which is why I am wearing it in every. single. picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, she was pleased as punch to come home and tell us that you got many comments about being twins and then the question who was older...:)
    Looks like a great time! Hate to even think it but I kind of look forward to a trip out there by myself sometime...although I know you'd greatly miss your niblings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking forward to my alone trip out there, too - whenever that is...
    And I think it's most unfortunate that people did NOT ask if we were twins when I was there. Haha. And I still remember that someone in Elgin, IA asked if I was the mother of my three sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! I bet your sister loved this post. *** By the way, incase you're wondering who this mysterious person is - my last name used to be Miller and I think we may have attended church together for awhile in Smithville. I am also Jesse and Laura's aunt through marriage. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Amber, I made Jesse show me who you were when they were just out here after your sweet comment about my dad on Shara's blog:)

      Delete