Pages

Monday, July 15, 2013

life is the berries

Being a berry farmer's wife is (firstly, a little strange to be thinking of myself as a wife), and secondly, pretty delicious & interesting. I make it out to the farm everyday & help out in the field. Before you smugly remind me that there might have been a time in my life when I said, "I will NEVER marry a farmer!" let me make an astounding & shameless confession. I love berry farming. Yup, I do. And if Dar ever threatens to get out of it & do something like *shudder* grain farming, I will mutiny. Not that I have to convince you, but here's why (in the spirit of a 6th-grade persuasive essay) I love berry farming.
1) they are delicious. Sososo yummy. So far, my favorite is a medium-large Blue Crop blueberry in the cool of the evening plucked carefully from the end of a cluster (a berry farmer told me this is the prime berry, called the "king berry").
2) they drive the cutest little tractors! (don't tell Dar I said that: he would love to drive something bigger & I suspect, feels slightly less manly because their tractors look like lawnmowers.) Iactually think I will drive one.
3) harvest is intense, but it is only a few months out of the year; what the rest of a berry farmer's year is like remains to be seen, but as much fishing as they do in the spring & fall, I think I hit the jackpot here.
4) everything is so small-scale & manageable. You can do on 5 acres of berries what would take you 10x as many acres for corn. (I'm not sure that sentence makes sense grammatically, but you know what I mean.) I just love that.
5) berries are pretty & quite photogenic. From bloom to perfectly ripe blueberry is an endless supply of photo ops for this girl. And she is quite pleased about this.
6) and have I said yet how much I just love berries?

7) my husband loves his job. He really does, even if he doesn't always think so this time of year. And what he loves, by georgey, I want to love too. Truthfully, if there were a way, every last one of his six brothers would be a berry farmer too. There's got to be something to that, right?
8) my Dad was a farmer & he was a man's man. I can respect farming.
9) It means I can see my dear husband daily & even work with him. Which has made the transition to being married much smoother & really helped our "real-life" relationship, i.e. engaged people don't do laundry, or have to call about insurance or pay rent or live without microwaves or wake up at 4:00 am to go work, but married people do (who knew!?). And guess what? I love being married anyway:).
10) Because you have to have an even number of reasons: Berries make fabulous desserts (Wendy, your blueberry-lemon pound cake was an instant favorite. I've already made it twice.)

I really do love where I'm at. Sitting in my little yellow chair by our less-than-prime 3rd story view overlooking a parking lot in my counterspaceless kitchen, I wouldn't change a single thing.

Oh, and by the way, short economics lesson: The canneries that are buying Sinn Farm blueberries (and everyone else's in the Willamette Valley) are having problems selling the fruit--more supply than demand right now. So do your part & BUY berries! This is our livelihood at stake here.

4 comments:

  1. I did buy 20 pounds, but I do think they came from Michigan:) I made the pound cake yesterday and there is only 1/4 left. Pie, crumble bars, and a cheesecake are also on the list if the blueberries last that long, but I find myself grabbing a handful every time I open my fridge. Jen, you may be jealous, but we had sweet corn for lunch today and it was absolutely perfect! We are also having it for supper, breakfast, lunch....wait I'm not like my mother. Maybe just lunch and suppers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This might be the mushiest blog post you have written yet. ;) So glad your so happy!! Can't wait to visit you on the west coast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should refer all who ask me about the state of your well being to your blog - it's pretty obvious you are doing just fine. :) Like we want!
    Once a farmer, always a farmer, right? I thought the only thing that separated a true farmer from his work was death or possibly retirement.
    Blueberry smoothie for breakfast! (Oregon berries as well!) Never thought I would act like it was a big deal to eat *OR* berries but here I am...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It makes me happy that you're happy :). We do have 40 pounds of blueberries in the fridge, but the way the kids devour blueberry sauce and waffles, I am sure we will be buying more berries before too long.

    ReplyDelete