Pages

Friday, July 5, 2013

settling?


Ah, it is good to be back. Actually, it's just really nice to have internet. My apartment is in a state of general upheaval, so you will have to be content with micro photos instead of macros. We've been here 10 days (which seems crazy) & I still kind of feel like we just plopped in. For the first few days, most of my baggage was in a Uhaul enroute. (Thanks again, Mom & Dan, for bringing it out. I am forever in your debt.) So my first meal (which I know you are all dying to know about), was omelets with veggies cut with a plastic knife, prepared in a tupperware bowl, eaten cross-legged at the coffee table, one of our three measley pieces of furniture. It was great:). There are times (more frequent than should be) when I look around our apartment & I just want to give up & crawl into bed (second of our three pieces of furniture). How in the world does anyone ever set up house?! But then I think how my parents started out, and how Dar's parents started out (living at his parents), and I know we actually have it pretty good. We've got loads of gifts--people have been so generous & good to us. And I am having fun, unpacking, trying out my appliances (I made banana ice cream with my immersion blender's chopper attachment two nights ago. You're right, Wendy, shockingly tasty.) And I can go to Target right down the road & yes, I believe I will buy a Threshold sheet set & shower curtain, because we do need them. And my refrigerator is full of berries. And at night, we can go and sit on our little deck & admire my meyer lemon which is still alive despite months of neglect & be thankful & grateful for where we are: in our first little home. 

 This is half of my counter space. My biggest complaint about the apartment. NOT a working kitchen. Buuuut...I went to IKEA & bought a few things so I can be Wendy-like efficient & space savvy. my fridge WILL be orderly! Now, if I can only get this little cart together so my counters can be cleared off...




Guess who has to use the guest room closet because there's no room in ours for his stuff?...
Pictures of the rest of the apartment will be coming soon. And keep in mind that during berry season, soon is all relative.

4 comments:

  1. It's so good to see a little glimpse of your new life. The kids ask about you frequently (and also ask frequently how many hours it takes to drive to Oregon and how many hours to fly). And even though Oregon doesn't drift further west, I will hear the same question again tomorrow :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so so lovely to hear from you! I currently have some bananas chillin in the freezer just waiting to be made into ice cream. I remember our first kitchen with it's non-existent counter space. And although I can't remember the first meal I prepared, I do have my first grocery receipt that (gasp!) shows I purchased velveeta, mountain dew, pizza pringles, ramen noodles and white bread. I'm sure that was Tory's influence. I can't wait to visit you guys and see all of your stuff finally in one place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds really familiar - clothes in the guest room closet and about no counter space...it was still a lovely place to live. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Wendy!!!
    Life Is A Journey...GOD IS GOOD!!!

    ReplyDelete