Pages

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

lemon-raspberry layer cake

Dar accused me of choosing a dessert simply for looks when my sister-in-law Alicen asked me to bring dessert to a family gathering Sunday. Of course, he was right:). Dessert is probably my favorite thing to make. Because it looks so pretty. And I can use my china & cakestands. Naturally, taste plays a role, too, but I figured I couldn't go wrong with a lemon-raspberry cake covered in cream cheese frosting. I picked the lemons from my in-laws laden lemon tree (someday, my sad little tree will provide me all the lemons I will desire, but until then!) & used raspberries I'd picked from their garden last summer & put in the freezer. They are such wonderful people that way; what's theirs is yours, & if you don't pick/can/harvest it yourself, they'll do it for you & make you feel like you were doing them the favor in letting them. I feel 100% comfortable showing up unannounced, digging around in the snack cupboard, taking home some eggs from their chickens, taking home food coloring for some valentine's macarons (I'll post photos of that later). Every once in a while, I think with understated awe that I can do this. It's something I'm very grateful for. And they are always sufficiently complimentary of any food I make, which does great things for my ego & culinary confidence.




No comments:

Post a Comment