Pages

Thursday, February 20, 2014

V-Day 2013

Technically it wasn't our first Valentine's Day: last year on this day dedicated to love, we met each other for the first time after our engagement. It couldn't have been a lovelier Valentine's Day, though we were both indifferent to the fact that it was actually Valentine's Day & were simply smitten with each other. :). Sappiness aside, this Valentine's Day was pretty great, too.

Both of us are a little food snobbish, & prefer our own cooking to going out. So instead of joining the masses at Olive Garden, we went grocery shopping (one of our favorite dates) & picked up some "special" foods. On the menu:
Olive Bread with Dar's Garlic Dipping Oil
Scallops & Prawns in Dar's Special Garlic Sauce
Mushroom & (more) Garlic Risotto
Fresh Green Beans (a major splurge this time of year--only for Valentine's!)
Greek Salad with My-Version-of-Dar's-Special-Dressing
Stoller Wine (our favorite wine! And it's made by distant relatives in Amity, OR. How cool is that?)
Creme Brulee with Fresh Raspberries 

I made some heart-shaped macarons (as promised!). And, okay, I'm cheating a little. I actually made these a week or so before V-Day. But it's the thought, right? They turned out pretty cute. And my mother is coming through in me mightily, but I caved & bought some "festive" sprinkles:). (She is the queen of all things festive & has a sprinkle collection to rival a cupcake bakery.)
 Dar does great in the kitchen. He's claimed one of my many aprons for his own. I think he looks pretty good in it. He prefers sauteing & adding a dribble of this, & a sprinkle of that, to following recipes. It's so fun to watch him at the stove; he gets into a mode & doesn't even notice me taking pictures. And he's got this little wrist shake to sprinkle in seasonings that I find adorable. He kind of lifts up his pinkie like he's sipping Earl Grey & delicately sprinkles...swoon. Ahem, anyway...I kind of like him.


 There's the spread. It was delicious. 
I'm so thankful for the 8 months (yikes! Has it really been that long already?) Dar & I have shared together. And as much as I thought I liked him last Valentine's Day, I love him even more today.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds amazing! I'm hoping there were some after dinner mints for supper as well...!

    ReplyDelete