Pages

Saturday, February 28, 2015

this makes me happy

Today was a good day. I finished my very last day of work. I'm officially full-term & if Babes decided to make her appearance now, it would be okay. 
And, my very favorite catalog came in the mail. I put it where I could see it plainly & made myself finish some unsavory tasks before I allowed myself to open its thick paper cover. To flip through it requires setting a scene: I made some tea & poured it in an old vintage tea cup. I moved some flowers to my desk & arranged everything neatly so I could just sip my tea & casually turn the pages without being distracted by ugliness or clutter. Just looking at it makes me happy. It reminds me of my sisters. I don't need to buy anything from it: I just like to admire the lush photography & imagine my house full of its beautiful random pretties. When I am done, I will file it away somewhere to be brought out again & again. Each time it will make me happy.

It makes me stop & look around me for beauty in unexpected places. Ironically, it makes me more content & determined to make do & upcycle what I already have, rather than need to buy & surround myself with things that will make me "happy". I remember an old hobnailed vase I have in the cupboard that would look lovely with flowering tree branches in it. I see how painting one chair an unexpected color spices up the kitchen table. Dishes that are stored away for special events suddenly seem totally appropriate for everyday.

Little things suddenly have value & importance. I know that I am blessed beyond measure & have a life just brimming with vibrance.

All this from one catalog that comes for free in the mail!

6 comments:

  1. Especially if that catalog is Anthropologie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, you have got to give the name of that catalog! I could use a little stress free time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have those rifle paper notebooks too! :) And thus far, I have only used them to think about a little insta photo shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anthropologie, amber. It will make your day:).

    ReplyDelete
  5. It makes me happy to see things from your POV. Ah! I am so excited for you to be a mamacita! Thinking of you, praying for you, excited for you, and missing you.

    ReplyDelete