Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2016

DIY | bow-tie or bow

When I was pregnant, & didn't know if the little one was a boy or girl, I cranked out a few bow-ties that I figured could double as bows if she happened to be, you know, a she. They were actually pretty simple, & I had fun on the sewing machine for the hour it took to make a few. 
Do you have some dapper littles in your life that need some adornment? Here's my tutorial (I'm no seamstress, as my paint-spattered cutting mat will attest ;)), just a disclaimer.

1. cut out two rectangles of fabric: one 8"x4.5", one 3"x1.5"
    I just used a quilt-weight cotton bag that my set of sheets came in. {FREE! woot.}

2. sew the long sides of both rectangles together, right sides facing each other, leaving a quarter inch seam allowance.

3. turn both rectangles right side out & roll them so the seam is in the middle instead of the side. (This will be the backside.)

4. Tuck the ends in. This isn't absolutely necessary, but will make the final bow look neater. The smaller rectangle is tricky. Use the end of a scissors to tuck in the ends if you have to. Or just don't worry about tucking. We're laid back around here. 

5. Fold your rectangles in half, & stitch ends together.

6. turn inside out so your newest seam is facing in like the photo shows. (This should be done to the smaller rectangle, too.)

7. My favorite! This is the step where the bow just springs to life. Take your larger rectangle, & pinch the middle together with the newest seam in the back. I hotglued it together to keep it pinched til the next step. You could probably sew it, too. I just know glue guns better.


8. Take your smaller rectangle. (This photo was taken before I turned the newest seam to the inside. Sorry. I'm a nube at step-by-step photos.)

8. Thread the bow you just hotglued through the smaller rectangle. 

10. Slide a pin back through the little rectangle.

10. Done!

Now go crazy making these for all the little men in your life. They use the tiniest scraps of fabric & if I can make them, you can make them!

Or, if you happen to have a little lady in your life instead, simply slide an alligator clip through the back instead of a pin. Just as darling, IMO! 


Her father tells me, "It looks like she's wearing a bow-tie on her head!" Bow-tie or not, she wears it well. 


2 comments:

  1. I always looking forward reading your blogs!! I mean Fiona is getting cuter by the day��.Thank you for sharing a part of your life with me it's so refreshing to read them..With Love your friend Anna reis

    ReplyDelete