Pages

Friday, February 12, 2016

Recipe | berry turnovers, heart-shaped!

One of the problems I've been running into since living in Oregon, is my berry-hoarding. Growing up, in Illinois, we had a sorry row of straggly raspberries that kept getting sprayed out by some well-meaning farmers next door. Our blackberry plants would yield enough for a milkshake and a half every summer. I braved mosquitos, stickers, & dripping-sweat-humidity to gather a small bowl of wild black raspberries. 

 Now, I'm married to a berry farmer & have so. many. berries. So many. I gather & freeze, gather & freeze all summer long. I can't help it. But this time of year, with the earth starting to bloom again, I realize it won't be too long before I have fresh berries again, & I've barely touched my massive supply of frozen ones!! 

I'm always on the lookout for new recipes to use up the berries. It's one of the more pleasant conundrums of life. 
I had a few friends over earlier this week just because. I decided last minute (like usual) to have a little brunch, & feverishly whipped up some triple berry turnovers. I used my fail-safe pie crust recipe that my mom always used. Here is the recipe, loosely. Use your favorite crust recipe. Roll it out to a 1/4 inch thick.
 For a two crust recipe, I used 3 cups of berries, one each of raspberries, blackberries, & blueberries. Dump a cup of sugar, a teaspoon of cinnamon, a pinch of salt, & 1/3 cup of flour over the berries & stir 'em all up.
 And, since Valentines Day is in a few days, and because, festivelikemymom, I made my turnovers heart-shaped. Without a heart cookie cutter. Not the easiest thing ever. Put a spoonful of berries on your turnover bottom.
 [note: I found out that maybe it would be easier to let them thaw a little to be able to mush them around more to fit your turnover top on] place your top part of the turnover on & pinch the edges to seal. I just pinch it: no egg white, no water, no fork.
 A little humble looking, but they taste just fine. We'll call them "rustic".

Glaze with a powdered sugar/milk glaze (1/2 cup powdered sugar + 1 T. milk and a dash of vanilla)
 Then let your little friend enjoy!

Here is the recipe in an easy-to-read format. Feel free to pin it! And if you are berry-deprived, any other pie filling would work, I would imagine. I wish there was some way I could mail you the overabundance from my freezer, though...wouldn't that be awesome?!

heart-shaped berry turnovers
makes 6 five-inch turnovers

Preheat oven to 425.

Ingredients:
2 recipes of your favorite pie crust

for filling:
1 c. blueberries, fresh or thawed if frozen
1 c. blackberries, ditto
1 c. raspberries, ditto
1 c. sugar
1 t. cinnamon
1/3 c. flour
pinch of salt

Stir all the filling ingredients together

Roll out your pie crust 1/4 inch thick, & cut out 12 hearts. (Mine were maybe 4 inches across at their widest point)

Place a small spoonful of filling in the center of a heart & place another heart over the top & pinch the edges together. Place on a cookie sheet [with waxpaper for easy clean-up!].

finish all the hearts.

Bake for 8 minutes at 425, then decrease oven temperature to 350 & bake for another 18-20 minutes, until filling is oozing out & bubbly.

Meanwhile, whisk up a glaze.

1/2 powdered sugar
1 T. milk (or cream if you're feeling decadent)
splash of vanilla

drizzle over turnovers.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. so delicious...and sadly my freezer is empty of berries of any kind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna Those turnovers look delicious, now if you could just mail me some berries I'd whip some up this week ;)

    ReplyDelete